Brutal Honesty

Thursday, March 23, 2006

What the USA is Missing

So as I look outside the window on yet another groggy, grey, miserable pacific northwest day, I started thinking about how much America misses out on some cool things. Granted, America rocks and I am grateful that I live here. But at the same time, numerous latin american and european countries have some cool things that we need to incorporate into our way of living.

As has already been commented in the past, the lack of good bread. Why are bread shops not a mainstay of our society. Tia and I would go and pick up a good loaf on a daily basis, if there was such a place to get a good loaf. Secondly, why don't we have an enormous supply of foreign beverages? Everyone else in the world drinks Coke, yet I rarely see a can/bottle of Guarana available at the Safeway. Or even better, I have NEVER seen a bottle of Kinnie available in the states. For those of you who don't know what Kinnie is I suggest that you check it out at: http://www.kinnie.com/

Lastly I don't understand why we don't have any Piazza's. Basically, life we be a whole lot more enjoyable if in every city there was a giagantic square with a couple of fancy fountains, and some nice stores surrounding it(like a gelato shop) where people could congregate and enjoy each others company. When will we learn?

4 Comments:

At 2:11 PM, Blogger Tia said...

peter I think those guys at the fountain are staring at me. just kidding. the only problem with having piazzas in the states is that probably the "wrong" kind of people would congregate there to where other people wouldn't feel safe. In other countries, those are tourists spots. I'm thinking Riverfront park kind of people.

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger riggity said...

first, I don't think we really want to know why the USA is void of foreign food and beverages. It has something to do with rich and powerful people keeping themselves rich (I think).

second, piazzas are a cool thing. tia is right though, look at marion "heroin" square park in salem.

that being said, look at pioneer square in portland. it is a very functional piazza type setting. so perhaps it isn't impossible.

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger a random John said...

In Boston they sell Guarana Antartica in the normal grocery store. For cheap too. Here I have to go to the mexi mart.

In any case, you can blame Coke and the corn cartel. It is an effing conspiracy. It harms the USA. Damn corn syrup.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger rb said...

We often wonder about the same thing..where are the piazzas here?????

 

Post a Comment

<< Home