Brutal Honesty

Friday, February 03, 2006

Message Boards v. Blogosphere

While I really enjoy blogging, I have been addicted to various message boards for the past couple of years. While the blogosphere and message boards are similiar in many facets there are also some striking differences. I have noticed two main differences between the two mediums.

First, on a message board there is a lot more back and forth dialogue, whereas the blogosphere is more open to diatribes. On the message boards that I frequent there are numerous characters who are on there all day long posting an assortment of messages(which leads me to wonder what they actually do in terms of productive work). Thus, you can usually get a response to one of your posts in a short amount of time. Basically there is a whole lot more human interaction.

The second major differnce is that in getting human interaction people turn into the High School Jock when anyone posts something that they don't agree with. My favorite message boards often have posters who conclude their posts with such drivel as, "you have been owned", "you are a joke", "I'm going to kick your a#$", or something along those lines. I guess that when participating in the cyber realm many people still have to confront their Napleon Complexes. It is good to know that there are still plenty of Biff Tannens in the real world and the cyber world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home